Temp/Seasonal Summer Camp Naturalist
This seasonal, full-time position, June 10th – August 16th, 2019 (with the potential to stay an additional week) assists with the planning and delivery of Yampatika’s summer camp program and some community-based youth programs. The Summer Camp Naturalist works as a teammate with the Intern Camp Naturalist to deliver high quality educational programs for youth aged 5-14 years, through daily summer camp programs and some community programming in collaboration with a variety of partners.
S/he is supervised by the Camp Director and oversees no staff. During times of low camp enrollment, Naturalists will be given the option to work for Yampatika carrying out tasks supporting camp or other programs (including office work and field work). There may also be an option to take unpaid leave during these times.
▪ Work in full cooperation with the Yampatika staff, interns, and volunteers;
▪ Participate in weekly camp staff meetings;
▪ Share in all logistics of program development and delivery, i.e. prep, clean up, driving, etc.;
▪ Communicate clearly and in a timely manner with supervisor, particularly related to safety;
▪ Project a positive image through proper uniform, attitude and presentation both in the field and office;
▪ Lead environmental education lessons for youth ages 5- 14 on a daily basis, Monday through Friday.
▪ Utilize resources provided to help develop appropriate daily lesson plans for summer camps, and other programs, according to theme and age.
▪ Work with Intern Camp Naturalist to submit prepared lessons, activities, and supply lists to the Camp Director at least 5 days in advance of program.
▪ Assist in maintenance of supplies, safety, and cleanliness of Yampatika’s Environmental Learning Center at Legacy Ranch; and communicate any and all repair/maintenance needs of the Ranch to the Camp Director ASAP;
▪ Plan and organize daily field trips for campers;
▪ Delegate responsibilities to the Interns so that they may grow and learn professionally;
▪ Have fun working with young people exploring the natural world!
Required Skills and Qualifications:
▪ Minimum 1-year of experience working with children aged 5- 14;
▪ Minimum of one year background and/or experience in the field of environmental education;
▪ Experience in curriculum development and environmental education program delivery;
▪ Comfort with teaching in front of large groups;
▪ Open communicator with strong written and verbal abilities;
▪ Ability to travel on foot up to 5 miles on varied terrain carrying a full day pack;
▪ Flexibility and willingness to accept new tasks and feedback;
▪ Current First Aid and CPR Certification;
▪ Physically able to lift 40 lbs;
▪ Passion for Yampatika’s mission;
▪ Current driver’s license and safe driving record for the past 3 years;
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
▪ Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder;
▪ Bachelor’s degree in environmental science/education;
▪ Experience and enthusiasm to work with young people ages 5-14;
▪ Knowledge of the Rocky Mountain ecology and geography;
▪ Overnight camping experience with youth;
▪ Ability to carry an overnight pack weighing up to 40 pounds;
▪ Willingness to use a personal vehicle to travel to programs on occasion.
Applications Due: March 15, 2019 (accepting applications until the positions are filled) Yampatika summer camp is based out of Legacy Ranch in Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Summer Camp Naturalists receive a weekly salary.
To apply: Email cover letter, resume and three references to:
Sam Rush, Youth Programs Director: email@example.com