Full-Time Program Assistant
Position Overview: cityWILD is seeking a qualified person to become our Program Assistant. This position will facilitate the execution of our after-school program based in the Cole Neighborhood as well as our weekend and summer trips. The Program Assistant serves as a program support person, working closely with the Program Coordinator to plan, create, and execute programmatic components.
Full time: 35-40 hours per week
Reports To: Program Coordinator
Supervises: Youth crew leaders who work 16 hours per month
● Experience, comfort and passion for working with culturally and socioeconomically diverse middle and high school age youth.
● Understanding of inclusiveness and social justice
● Understanding of trauma informed approaches, positive youth development, and experiential education
● Comfort facilitating group activities with groups of 10-20 individuals.
● Willingness to learn how to plan and implement daily structure and educational activities.
● Experience and knowledge of working with youth in a wilderness setting
● Experience handling multiple tasks at once and responding to crisis situations with a professional and level-headed approach.
● Ability to work independently and with others as the situations dictates.
● Ability to be flexible in high stress situations and maintain professionalism
● Ability to make individual judgment calls about safety and risk management with students, interns and volunteers.
● Understanding of office operations.
● Interest and comfort with nature and the outdoors.
● Comfort working with Windows and Microsoft Office
● Excellent conflict management skills
● At least 23 years of age (insurance regulations).
● Valid driver’s license with clean driving record.
● Bi-lingual, Spanish Preferred
Helpful, but not required experience (training can be provided):
● Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder certification
● CPR/First Aid Certified
● Other outdoor certifications
● Understanding of trauma informed practices
Hours and Pay Scale: This is a full-time (35-40 hours per week), non-exempt hourly position that includes working weekday evenings and some weekends.
● $12-$15/hour depending on experience
● Competitive vacation and holiday time
● Health insurance
● Dental plan
● Outdoor gear pro-deal discounts
● To work closely with the Program Coordinator in the development and implementation of the after-school program.
● To utilize existing curriculum and develop new lesson plans in the implementation of daily activity and learning exercises.
● To develop rapport with all youth at the program site.
● Communicate with students and families in both English and Spanish.
● To build and develop skills necessary to facilitate programs for 10-20 youth on their own.
● To participate in the planning and preparation of wilderness trips. This person will function as a lead or assistant instructor on Weekend Adventures and other expeditions.
● To maintain and track student data. This person will work with the Program Coordinator to ensure that student files are complete and up to date and the information is correctly entered into the cityWILD database.
● Transportation of students in 15-passenger vehicles.
● Cleaning and organizing program site.
● Tracking program gear.
● To attend and supervise overnight and multi-day trips with youth.
● Other duties as assigned.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to walk, sit, talk and/or hear. The employee may be required to operate objects, tools or controls, and to reach with hands and arms. The employee may be required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required on this job include close vision and the ability to focus.
To Apply: Send a cover letter (as an attachment, not in the body of the email) and resume to email@example.com
cityWILD is an equal opportunity employer. People of color and people from low-income backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.