Internship Manufaturing Engineering Intern
JOB TITLE: Manufacturing Engineering Intern
This is a full time summer internship that could extend into the school year part time. The hourly rate is $15.00 an hour.
Support the Englewood Operations group (including Assembly, Metal Fabrication, Plastic Fabrication, Quality, etc.) to produce high quality, cost-effective products by completing entry-level Engineering work to develop professional skills.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide general support to the Manufacturing Engineering team.
• Support the integrity and maintenance of assembly and manufacturing process routings.
• Support the design, procurement, commission, and maintenance of assembly, weld, and test fixtures (could include utilizing Arduino microcontrollers/programming, spec’ing out electrical components, wiring, and make use of additive manufacturing technologies).
• Support process, lean, and Kärcher Production System (KPS) initiatives (CIP events and meetings, 5S and Visual Management activities, etc.).
• Study and optimize manufacturing work centers (including robotic welding, machining center, power coat paint line, plastics molding, etc.).
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Support New Product Development and Transfer projects for the timely and successful introduction of products into production.
• Support the timely and successful introduction of Engineering Changes into production.
• Support other projects and initiatives as needed.
Direction is received frequently, work is monitored and reviewed.
Must be pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Manufacturing, Industrial, Mechanical, or related Engineering discipline at an accredited college or university.
• Experience with hand and power tools is strongly preferred, but not required.
• Experience machining with a manual lathe, mill, and other equipment is preferred but not required.
• Experience with mechanical and electrical troubleshooting is preferred but not required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Self-starter and quick learner that can handle multiple tasks/projects with good results.
• Strong mechanical aptitude so as to understand the functional principles of the equipment Kärcher produces and capabilities of relevant manufacturing technologies.
• Ability to use MS Office products such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Outlook to good effect.
• Experience with CAD programs (AutoCAD, ProE/CREO).
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to build and maintain relationships, both internally and externally, based upon trust, confidence and personal rapport.
• Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness in work performed.
• Knowledge of machine shop processes (including forming, machining, and welding) is a plus.
• Knowledge of lean manufacturing principles and tools is a plus.
Must be able to communicate well in English, both written and verbal, including technical terminology. Ability to speak or write other languages, such as German or Spanish, is a plus.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts as required for line balancing, capacity planning, BOM rationalization, etc.
Must be able to analyze data to solve practical problems encountered in a manufacturing environment which generally involves variables that are technical and/or procedural in nature.
• Frequent sitting, standing, walking and occasional stair-climbing required.
• Must be able to respond to all Operations areas as needed.
• Extended periods of standing / working in production environment (entire work day, numerous consecutive days) is often required.
• Occasional lifting and carrying required, up to 70 pounds.
Office setting along with significant time on the factory floor.