Internship Lead Cook
BUSINESS TITLE Lead Cook (RCWB) JOB BAND/GRADE Hourly
REPORTS TO (TITLE) Sous Chef
Ensure associates perform a variety of tasks, from safely preparing and serving food to the guests and employees, stocking supplies, rotating and storing food, cleaning and maintaining a sanitary, organized work environment, answering questions, ensuring policies and procedures are adhered to, assisting management in the daily operation of the business.
Essential Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for execution of the meal and understanding the timing of food production and to have all components of ready for consumption
• Responsible for expediting and maintaining the amount of food produced based on forecasted demand during peak and non-peak service times
• Communicate with the management to maintain the level of food quality that is expected
• Ensure daily communication between the day and night shifts regarding items that require long cooking times and planning for upcoming meals
• Communicate any issues to the staff which could affect the service before each meal period
• Ability to cook and prepare food according to production guidelines and recipes
• Knowledge of food product, identification, and acceptable level of food quality
• Must know methods of food preparation, cooking times, and portion sizes to insure food is prepared in prescribed manner
• Cuts, trims, bones and carves meats and poultry for cooking
• Evaluate food quality and preparedness by tasting
• Ensure food is stored at the appropriate temperature for the appropriate length of time and follows all food safety standards
• Evaluate front-of-house presentation and suggest changes to food displays as needed
• Sets up/Breaks down work station
• Maintains a clean, safe and sanitary work station, equipment, and utensils
• Must be trained to safely operate all kitchen equipment (choppers, slicers, ovens, steamers, a variety of knives, etc.)
• Responsible for training servers on use of correct portions when cutting, preparing, and serving items
• Maintain production results of each meal
• Communicate with management regarding food product that needs to be ordered for upcoming production plans
• Report safety hazards discovered in the location to management immediately
• Adheres to master cleaning schedules as posted by management
• Assists in other areas as needed
Additional Job Functions:
• Serve Safe certified
• Work in other areas as needed
• Completion of any task requested by a supervisor or member of the Aramark management team.
This position reports to the Sous or Executive Sous Chef and has a working relationship with the Dining room manager ensuring that only the finest service is given to the guests. Working hours must be flexible as events are held during the day, nights and weekends.
• Ability to work with a diverse internal and external clients
• Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
• Excellent organization and the ability to prioritize multiple projects.
• Excellent time management skills
• Excellent people management skills
• Excellent ability to remain calm in high stress situations
• Good interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability to work in a team environment and demonstrate excellent customers service
• Must have the ability to manage and support the kitchen staff
• Minimum 3 years’ experience in the food service industry as a cook
• Must be able to understand verbal and written instructions
• Culinary training or degree
• 5 or more years’ experience in the food service industry as a cook
Work Environment: Back-of-house. Requires frequent lifting/transporting hot food items, ability to work inside kitchen area, interact with heated equipment, steam and other at risk conditions. Involves repetitive motion.