Internship Kitchen Fellow
The High Mountain Institute is seeking a Kitchen and Wilderness Fellow, a one-year position preparing the occupant with experience in teaching, mission-driven institutional food service, expedition rationing, menu planning, budgeting, and leading extended wilderness expeditions.
Goals for Kitchen and Wilderness Fellow:
By participating in this one-year fellowship you should gain the skills to be able to run a small commercial kitchen, to run a wilderness rations room, and be a strong outdoor leader.
• Support HMI food service and expedition rationing
• Prepare mission-driven and healthy food
• Learn about and help uphold kitchen standards
• Learn to teach students to plan and prepare meals by cooking with them
• Gain experience instructing and supporting wilderness expeditions over four 10-18 day trips
• Compensation: $15,000 Fellow stipend and monthly housing stipend
Qualifications: Interest in food service experience and cooking mission-driven meals for large groups; prior wilderness travel experience and current WFR certification desired. Passion for food, the outdoors, and adolescents required.