Temp/Seasonal Invasive Species Technician
POSITION: Invasive Species Technician
START & END DATE: July 2018 – April 2019
PAY RATE: $12.50 / Hour
LOCATION: 6060 Broadway Denver, CO 80216
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Open Until Filled
JOB DESCRIPTION: Primary responsibility is to support the State Invasive Species Program through watercraft inspection & decontamination, as well as warehouse inventory management. Candidates should have a strong mechanical background and experience with maintaining inventories and managing a warehouse. Work will be completed independently to inspect and decontaminate boats voluntarily coming to the office site, with respect to invasive species such as zebra/quagga mussels. Position will be responsible for regular maintenance and proper use of the decontamination unit. Mechanical background is preferred. Position will provide public outreach on the aquatic invasive species topic by providing printed material to those visiting the office. Duties include collection, preservation and proper documentation of possible ANS specimen brought into the office by customers.
Other duties include administrative work such as filing, maintaining inventory, managing the supply warehouse, paying bills, reserving hotel rooms and training facilities, answering phone calls, preparing materials for field trainings, loading and unloading vehicles, reviewing and editing technical reports and participating in the development of maps, training materials, educational materials and protocol manuals. A large amount of data entry work is involved.
Hours will be from 8:30 am – 5:30 pm Monday through Friday. A small amount of weekend work is required.
1. Basic Understanding of Invasive Species Biology
2. Previous experience working in or managing a warehouse preferred.
3. B.S. in natural resources/botany/fisheries/wildlife or other natural resource field OR at least 1 years completed coursework toward a degree in the field is desired.
4. Previous experience performing administrative duties outlined above.
5. Experience with Microsoft Word applications and google required.
6. Experience trailering a boat or power washer/decontamination units.
7. At least 6 months experience performing data entry, with fast and accurate typing ability.
8. Experience working on boats and trailers preferred.
9. Good driving record is mandatory.
10. Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) are required.
PREFERRED EDUCATION: Bachelors Degree in Biological Sciences or comparable work experience.
HOW TO APPLY: Send a resume, cover letter and three references electronically in Word or Adobe PDF to:
Invasive Species Program
Colorado Parks and Wildlife
Top candidates will be notified of interviews to be held ASAP and are subject to background and motor vehicle checks.