Internship Design Intern
Eight-week minimum commitment during Summer 2019
The Aspen Art Museum is an accredited, globally preeminent, non-collecting museum that organizes and presents the newest, most important evolutions in global contemporary art through a dynamic exhibition program of sixteen to eighteen shows per year. With an annual operating budget of $7 million and a team of over seventy professional staff members, the AAM is situated in an iconic building in a picturesque environment with an exceptionally active community of contemporary art collectors. The AAM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Graphic Design Intern will work as a part of the Graphic Design/Editorial team to design and produce a broad range of print and digital marketing materials, including the branding and execution of deliverables for ArtCrush, AAM’s Annual summer benefit. The Graphic Design Intern will also assist the team with the design and production of publications for Aspen Art Press, the AAM’s publishing initiative. Interns are involved with all aspects of the design process, from client meetings and presentations, through project production and development.
• Work under the direction of the Graphic Designer to produce marketing materials and publications for the museum
• Meet with clients from the various departments to establish goals and desired outcomes for each project
• Conceptualize and develop design solutions that clearly convey each project’s message and operate within the museum’s aesthetic and stylistic voice
• Present design concepts to the Graphic Designer and museum leadership
• Work with the Editor on proofing the materials for print
• Work with vendors to generate project quotes and assure projects are produced on budget and to the highest standard of quality
• Manage/prioritize multiple projects/tasks simultaneously
• Manage the organization and maintenance of the museum’s image server
Requirements and Qualifications
• College junior or senior working towards a degree in graphic design, or recently completed an undergraduate or graduate degree in graphic design
• Macintosh proficiency in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and AfterEffects software
• Firm grounding in visual design principles and the print design process
• Interest in contemporary art and current cultural trends
• Good communication and organizational skills and the ability to meet tight deadlines
• Ability to take direction and to take initiative
• Ability to represent the museum with a high level of integrity and professionalism, adhere to museum policies, maintain confidentiality, and support management decisions in a positive, professional manner
To apply, please visit our website aspenartmuseum.org to apply online. Please send a letter of interest, a résumé, names and contact information of three references, and a PDF portfolio containing 8–10 examples of your graphic design work.
Apply here: https://www.aspenartmuseum.org/about/work-opportunities/graphicdesignintern