Internship Culinary Intern
The Culinary Coordinator position at the Leadville Mountain Center offers the opportunity to be a part of a thriving workplace community in the heart of the Colorado Rockies. The Culinary Intern is responsible for daily food-related preparation and ordering, managing staff to prepare delicious meals, kitchen cleanliness and sanitation systems for the staff kitchen in the North Dining Hall and helping cultivate a positive, supportive, collaborative workplace. The job may include components of high altitude gardening, researching and utilizing sustainable food practices, and managing an aquaponics system.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Implement a 2-week rotating dinner menu of nutritious, creative, balanced dinners that can support up to 40 people for the summer season.
• Assist with lunch preparation and service in cooperation with the Kitchen Manager.
• Accommodate special diets and food preferences with reasonable alternatives.
• Stock breakfast items that staff can manage on their own.
• Oversee the daily management of the staff kitchen and the volunteer kitchen crews for the day.
• Assist with planning meals for special events and oversee volunteers in meal preparation.
• Oversee daily inventory and restocking of staff kitchen food and supplies. Prepare food order for the APD of Logistics on a daily or biweekly basis.
• Assist with receiving of food deliveries.
• Purchase food locally as needed in coordination with the Kitchen Manager.
• Work in conjunction with the APD of Logistics to ensure food inventories stay within budgetary guidelines.
• Submit all receipts to the APD of Logistics and assist in follow-up to ensure prompt payment of food vendors.
• Oversee North Dining Hall kitchen and storage area cleanliness and sanitation.
• Supervise deep cleaning of the kitchen as scheduled by the APD of Logistics.
• Perform job with good standard of personal hygiene (clean clothes, hair tied back, etc).
Work in conjunction with other staff to build and maintain a healthy positive working environment for staff and students.
Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of various cooking techniques and dietary accommodations.
• Strong communication and organizational skills.
• Strong personal motivation, initiative, efficiency and follow-through.
• Flexible, able to work independently and follow directions.
• Strong time management skills required.
• Ability to lift a minimum of 40 pounds.
• Ability to stand for significant periods of time.
• Tolerance of long days and working with unskilled volunteers.
Education and Work
• Minimum of 1-year cooking experience required.
• 1-2 years’ experience cooking for large groups, barbequing, food handling, kitchen and food sanitation, nutrition, and special diets strongly preferred.
ServSafe certified or equivalent experience preferred.
• 3 -month contract (May 23 – August 23)
• Rustic and comfortable housing is provided with close access to bathrooms, wireless internet, and work space.
• All meals provided.
• There is the possibility to augment intern income with supplemental driving for the program on an as-needed basis. Employee must have a clean driving record and pass COBS driver training.
• Access to Prodeal
** Please visit our website for the full job description and to complete our online application. https://www.cobs.org/connect/employment/field