Internship Culinary Intern
The Culinary Intern position at the Southwest Program basecamp in Moab is responsible for daily food-related planning and preparation, kitchen cleanliness and sanitation for the staff eating experience. A key member of the base camp community, this is part of the logistic team, supporting our service oriented, positive outdoor culture.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Maintain a 2-week rotating menu of nutritious, creative, balanced lunches that can support up to 30 people for the summer season.
• Ability to accommodate special diets and food preferences with reasonable alternatives.
• Oversee the daily management of the volunteer crew of who sign up to help cook, as well as the clean-up crew.
• Assist with planning meals for special events, and oversee volunteers in meal preparation
• Oversee and maintain daily inventory and restock of staff kitchen food and supplies. Prepare food order for APD-Logistics on a daily or biweekly basis.
• Assist with receiving of food deliveries.
• Purchase food locally as needed in coordination with the APD-Logistics, working within the budgetary guidelines.
• Submit all receipts to the APD-Logistics and assist in follow-up to ensure prompt payment of food vendors.
• Oversee kitchen and storage area cleanliness and sanitation, supervise deep cleaning of the kitchen area twice monthly as scheduled by the APD-Logistics.
• Perform job with good standard of personal hygiene (clean clothes, hair tied back, etc).
• Be a positive, supportive member of our community with a commitment to our mission statement.
Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of cooking for large groups, barbequing, food handling, kitchen and food sanitation, nutrition, and special diets.
• Ability to clearly communicate, share information with others and give/receive feedback.
• Strong personal motivation, initiative, efficiency and follow-through.
• Flexible, able to work independently and follow directions.
Ability to lift a minimum of 40 pounds.
Ability to stand for significant periods of time.
Education and Work
• year cooking experience preferred.
• ServSafe certified or equivalent experience preferred.
$500 stipend per month
3-month contract (late-May through late-August)
Rustic and comfortable housing is provided with close access to bathrooms, wireless internet, and kitchen as well as all meals.
Alternate arrangements can be made by agreement with the APD-Logistics to provide maximum flexibility and sustainability within this position.
Access to Prodeal
** Please visit our website for the full job description and to complete the online application process. https://www.cobs.org/connect/employment/field