Temp/Seasonal Community Outreach VISTA
Eagle River Watershed Council seeks an AmeriCorps VISTA to become a part of our team. The VISTA will help to expand our community outreach efforts particularly in the Latino and underserved communities, build organizational capacity, and help develop a new water quality education program county-wide.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
• Work with the Education & Outreach Coordinator to develop an outreach program that further engages the Latino and underserved communities of Eagle County.
• Assist the Education & Outreach Coordinator in establishing a water quality education program for local town governments.
• Assist staff in grant writing by creating the framework for grant applications and proofreading completed applications.
• Assist in maintaining digital media presence (Facebook, Instagram, blog, website).
• Update donor/volunteer records in the database.
• Pick up/process the mail; answer phone calls.
• Assist with board communication.
• Coordinate board meetings by reserving venues, distributing board packets, etc.
• Assist with donor/partner communication and recognition.
• Obtain office supplies.
• Support the 2019 summer volunteer program in accomplishing the restoration goals for each project. The VISTA will recruit volunteers and communicate with them prior to and following the work day and will assist onsite during the project day. Volunteer duties may include: noxious weed removal; tree/shrub planting; erosion control; and seeding.
• Assist in outreach, planning, and coordination of all events, including Watershed Wednesdays, Wild & Scenic Film Festival, Community Pride Highway and Eagle River Cleanups.
• Assist in the development of general education/outreach materials and, as appropriate, the Spanish translation of these materials.
• Assist with summer camp and other environmental education opportunities.
• Complete invoicing and check distribution after invoices and checks are received from accountant. This includes making copies of paperwork, filing, and mailing.
• Work on special projects as they arise.
• College student (or recent graduate) pursuing a BA/BS in Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Botany, Natural Resource Management, Sustainability Studies, or related field.
• Demonstrated ability to coordinate and lead groups of people and volunteers in outdoor activities.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Spanish a plus.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel computer programs.
• Ability to organize and maintain supplies and equipment.
• Ability to keep accurate records, organize information and prepare written reports.
• Ability to evaluate conditions and make judgments related to safety.
• Ability to manage tasks with limited supervision, as well as collaborate with others.
• Valid Driver’s license
• Use of personal vehicle to commute to various field sites
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
• Ability to work outdoors, possibly in adverse weather conditions
Specific Job Skills:
• Knowledge of ecological restoration principles
• Familiarity with native and non-native plant species in the Rocky Mountain region, a plus
• Familiarity with, or willingness to learn, Colorado water issues
• Outgoing and friendly personality
• Personal Credibility.
• Thoroughness and strong organization skills.
Compensation and Benefits:
• See the full list of AmeriCorps VISTA benefits here.
• Housing may be provided.
How to Apply
• All applications must be submitted through the AmeriCorps website. To create a login visit https://my.americorps.gov/mp/recruit/registration.do
• More information about the AmeriCorps VISTA application process is here: How to Apply to AmeriCorps VISTA and here: So you think you want to be an AmeriCorps VISTA
For more information about Eagle River Watershed Council,
please visit www.erwc.org
Eagle River Watershed Council is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Eagle River Watershed Council recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or other protected status as required by applicable law.