Internship Community Outreach Seasonal Program Assistant
Community Outreach Summer 2019 Seasonal Program Assistant
with Eagle Valley Land Trust
About the Eagle Valley Land Trust
At the Eagle Valley Land Trust (EVLT), our mission is to protect forever the lands we love, to preserve our heritage, scenic beauty, recreational opportunities, and wildlife habitats, and to build a permanent legacy for future generations. In the heart of the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, our community is a special place with unique and unparalleled natural beauty and natural resources. Your local Land Trust plays a leading role in protecting our most precious lands, while educating our community about the benefits of conserving the rural character of our valleys… forever.
Location and Term of Position
Our offices are located in Edwards, Colorado. The Seasonal Program Assistant position will begin in May or June of 2019 and end in August 2019. Some flexibility is available in the start and end date, but a 3-month commitment is required. The position is an approximately 30 hour per week commitment with a variable schedule, including frequent weekend and evening events. Travel and field work will be required. Applicants must have their own vehicle and a valid driver license.
Goals and Objectives of the Position
The Summer Community Outreach Seasonal Program Assistant will assist staff of EVLT in planning, promoting and conducting the various summer outreach programs of EVLT. These programs include:
Community Land Connection Series- A regular outreach series conducted on public land under conservation easement with EVLT, in partnership with other conservation organizations. The goal is to connect people to the land and the work of EVLT.
Future Conservationists- Held at several of the public conservation easements EVLT holds, Future Conservations is conducted in partnership with local youth-focused organizations and helps promote existing recreational opportunities to Eagle County residents.
Cow Patty Bingo- A summer community outreach and fundraising event held in Eagle, Colorado benefiting the mission of EVLT.
Farmers’ Markets and other community events- Representing EVLT at various local farmers’ markets and other community events to educate the public about the mission of EVLT.
Farm to Fork- EVLT’s annual fundraising event.
Duties and responsibilities will include:
• Developing and implementing curriculum for Future Conservationists and Community Land Connection Series
• Assisting staff with planning, organizing and conducting summer outreach events
• Promoting summer outreach events through all media channels including social media
• Representing the land trust at summer farmers’ markets and other community events
• Recording and filing outreach reports (use of Word, Excel, and ArcGIS)
• Assisting with overall administrative needs
• Volunteer outreach and coordination
• Learning and assisting with various tasks typical of a non-profit organization
• Other tasks as assigned by Stewardship and Outreach Manager
Essential Requirements of the Job:
• A clean driving record
• Previous event experience
• Social skills and a great sense of humor
• Ability to work independently
• Experience working with children, and community members of all ages
• General working knowledge of environmental education, interpretive teaching methods and techniques, and the natural history of the region
• Ability to be flexible and maintain a positive attitude
• Willingness to work a variable schedule, including weekends and evenings
• Strong technical/computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite, Google Drive, social media
• High energy, and a passion for EVLT’s mission
• An interest in nonprofit organizations and their operations
The ideal candidate would have:
• Ability to speak conversational Spanish
• Interpretive Guide Certification
• Familiarity with GIS software and mapmaking experience
Compensation, Physical Requirements, and Work Environment
• Compensation is $15 per hour, for about 30 hours per week, for 3 months
• This position is non-exempt (must be paid overtime for weeks worked over 40 hours)
• Qualified mileage will be reimbursed at standard IRS rates
• A blend of office work and community relations activities, this position will require periodic weekend, early morning, and evening work
• Work requires some physical exertion such as strenuous hiking, walking, standing, lifting (up to 50 lbs), carrying, or similar activities.
• Any requirements to receive course credit are the responsibility of the Seasonal Program Assistant to coordinate.
Interested applicants should send their resume with references, cover letter and transcripts, together as 1 PDF, to Stewardship and Outreach Manager, Jessica Foulis, at firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline of March 15th. For more information about EVLT visit https://evlt.org/community-outreach-summer-2019-seasonal-program-assistant-with-eagle-valley-land-trust/.